Monday, May 4, 2009

Mary Jane Pool

Perhaps my favorite article in Domino Magazine was the piece they did in March 2008 on the apartment of Mary Jane Pool. Pool is one of the best magazine editors of the 20th century. She worked for both Vogue and House and Garden, and served as editor in chief of House and Garden from 1970-1980. House and Garden was never better than under her perfect eye for detail. I love these photos of her place-the wonderful colors, Venetian antiques, sumptuous fabrics and wallpaper, and the keen mixing of antiques and 2oth century pieces. Notice the split photos showing earlier and later versions of the same space. She incorporates perfectly all of my favorite things-Chinoiserie, lots of books and magazines, painted furniture, mixing of antiques and modern, hand-painted wallpaper, blue and white porcelain, leopard, wonderful mixing of pattern, yellow, silks, oversized lampshades, needlepoint rugs, pillows, tufting, coral pink, I could go on and on.... This is my dream apartment.









6 comments:

  1. This apartment is so elegant and sophisticated, Beth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is funny. were you reading my mind?? xox g.

    ReplyDelete
  3. g. Great minds think alike perhaps! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember thinking the apt. showed the signs of a full life, lived well! I loved seeing her different pieces over the years and how her style evolved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stefan-Yes, I've seen many versions over time of her dining room with the urn pedestal table for example. But the one constant is that I love it all!

    ReplyDelete