Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Calligraphic Art-Cy Twombly


It seems that every design blog has done a post on chalkboard paint and how to use it in your home. Ideas have ranged from the obvious walls to your refrigerator, placemats, and even eggs. I am a huge fan of Cy Twombly and his calligraphic art. His work is a favorite of mine and I love seeing it at the National Gallery of Art every time I am there. I even did a huge canvas for my living room that is my version of a Cy Twombly that has been featured on a couple blogs using a gold paint pen on a white canvas. I especially love this Twombly piece above. It occurred to me how fun it would be to buy a large canvas, paint it with chalkboard paint, and try my own Twombly with chalk. Why not try your own? You can change it or redo it anytime you want. People have asked me this before, but these need not be quotes or real words-just random free form scribbled letters strung together-don't over think it-just let your hand and the chalk go. Twombly's calligraphic works are primarily pencil or crayon scribbled on paper or canvas. The Art Institute of Chicago has an exhibition of Twombly, one of our greatest living American artists, in its new Modern Wing, now through September 13th. 

10 comments:

  1. I love these chalkboards and have always wanted to do this so thanks for reminding me and for the tip of using canvas. It would be great in my studio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool idea....you know I loved your canvas, Beth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sande-It would be great in a studio.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne-I think people are somewhat intimidated creating their own art-this maybe less so, because you can change it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just saw a chalk board in a magazine.. it was in the dining room.. I love that idea and would love to doodle there all day.

    xoxo Noel

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to see your canvas. I am so excited to hear of the the exhibit. I will be in Chicago this weekend! Thanks! I love his work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrific idea. I am boring but I never get too much of utilizing Chalk board paint. I adore this idea & in fact, going to give it a go. Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Noel-I think that would be fun-you could sketch out ideas for new creations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. G-You should go and do a post on it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dumbwit Tellher-I don't think chalkboard paint is boring at all, I just meant that it was not original for me to post on it. But I have not seen my idea done before-I think it sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete